Without further introduction I proudly present the ten best ways to make more money on your personal injury lawsuit and come out a real winner.
- Gather, document and preserve every evidence. Do not waste any time in gathering evidence once you are involved in an accident. You can take pictures, take notes, talk with witnesses and get their phone numbers and contact details, record the incident if you can and of course get police report if you can, otherwise your personal injury lawyer cannot even start to help you. It is based on the validity and and strength of your evidence that the jury will make its decisions. It is also your evidence that will determine the compensation that you will get from the other side. It is therefore pertinent that you focus on getting all the available evidence you can at the scene of the accident.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. It is imperative that you get treated quickly by trained medical personnel. Consult different ones to be sure your treatment is on track or if you need experts in various fields like neurosurgeons, work injury doctors, physiotherapists. Let your medical professionals know of any complaints you have, minor or embarrassing. And while at it, make sure that everything concerning your medical treatment is properly documented, like receipts, bottles of medication, medical devices used. They can serve as evidence.
- Also remember to consider future treatments or losses that may arise following your personal injury. If you don’t factor these in before compensation, all other expenses you incur afterwards will not be taken into consideration. Let your medical team map out a long term treatment plan and be sure to follow that treatment plan . This will not only ensure that you are properly treated, it will also cause the other side to realize that you mean business and to take you more seriously.
- Be open with your lawyers. If you had previous medical situations or injuries, inform your attorney. The insurance companies can dig all that up and insist that your injuries are not from the accident. Have a record of all the hospitals that treated you and share same with your lawyer.
- No social media. This is a no-no. You cannot afford to run to the social media no matter how addicted you are. Running to the social media is the last thing you want to do at this point the matter how tempted you are. Remember whatever you say or do can be used against you in the court of law? That applies to social media also. You might be tempted to show a picture of you cruising on an island or simply jumping up and down. What message would you be sending to your opponent with those kind of pictures? Please reject the temptation to blab about your case to anyone who cares to listen. Only your personal injury lawyer needs to know all that you have to say about the case .
- Be patient. Do not rush into settling or accepting any compensation just because you are in a hurry to get a quick settlement. The insurance company will want to lure you into accepting the lowest possible compensation. But what if you rush that way and later on you needed to have a surgery or there is a complication in your health that will require your spending lots of money? Allow your personal injury lawyer to determine if the compensation they are offering you is commensurate with your injuries.
- Desist from rushing to speak with the insurance adjusters ,speak with your lawyer first.
- Don’t neglect to harp on the emotional points that will benefit you. If a child is involved in the accident or affected by it, emphasize that point, alcohol induced? Harp on it. Any other factor that will play on the jury’s emotions to steer the case in your favor, you must not downplay them. You would want to be fully compensated for all your pains and losses.
- File as soon as possible. Before the expiration of the statute of limitation, ensure that you file your case. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Filing early will maximize your chances of recovering all your losses. It will help you gather evidence and build a stronger case.
- Be wary of the insurance companies. Their main interest is their pocket, not your well-being. To achieve that, they can go as far as hiring private investigators to monitor your activities or entice you into indicating actions and make videos of that. They can come under guise to interview you about the accident just to get details they can use against you. Let your lawyer deal with them.
From the foregoing, you see you need a top local personal injury lawyer to help you every step of the way. You can go through the process alone but hiring a lawyer will ensure a better outcome.